Friday, September 07, 2007

LASIK

Contrary to popular belief, you can actually see right after you get up from the 'operating table'. It was kinda cute, a miniature operating table, where all the lights are shone directly at your face. But it's not so cute when you're lying there with this shower cap and white scrubs staring at a little blinking red light.

At least the doctor was cute. I am not so pa jiao that I couldn't tell how cute the doctor was.

For the uninitated, LASIK is an acronym for Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis. And I went for this small surgery on my eyeballs yesterday. (ironic!) When I got up from the machine, the doctor asked me, "Now, can you look at the clock and tell the time?" And I could. I mean, it's blurry, but if I still had my original set of eyeballs, I wouldn't be able to see a thing. On hindsight, the doctor must have a good reason for putting that clock there, cos at the counter, the lady asked me what time my operation ended. There. I knew my doctor's smart as a whip.

And good-looking, too!

A contact lens was inserted into my eye yesterday to keep the flap, that the machine cut up, in place. So today I went back to get the lenses out. The doctor touched my eyeball! And commented on my eyelashes, along the lines of, "Do your eyelashes grow inwards like that?" Yes, doc, they do. Anyway, before seeing the doctor, my eyesight was checked by his pretty consultants. Apparently, I now have 6/9 vision. I'll have 6/6 vision pretty soon, according to my doctor. Man, 6/9 vision without visual aids of any sort was a DREAM. Now it's actually reality.

Plus I have a handsome doctor to look forward to for my follow-up checkups.

I also got a 'little souvenir'. They apparently took pictures of me on the table. Quite alarming, and a little bit odd. My mother said they took a few pictures. Bleargh. I'm fat fat fat. Once one week is over, I'll start some kind of exercise and diet routine. Fatness be gone!

Anyway, the important thing is that I can see pretty much clearly without any visual aids. The $3k++ (going to be around 4k) is worth it. Every single bit.

Especially with the extremely shuai doctor attending to my eye needs.

No comments: